Thursday, January 14, 2010

Swim Trg - 14/01/10

Tonight's focus points:

Easy speed for the following swimmers:

Lawrence
Sam
Alan
Marianne
Gen (Absent)
Weihan (Absent)
Ziting (Absent)

AND

Breaking the mental barrier of Continuous Swim for the following swimmers:

KH
Wilson
James
Neil (Absent)
Leon (Absent)
Pauline (Absent)
Robert (Absent)


----------------------------

Training Program goes as per follows for 2 groups:

Easy Speed group:

Warmup:

100s of Freestyle, Fly kick (streamlining) + breast stroke pull, skater drill, Fly kick + BS pull again, Freestyle again.


Then main set and timing is as per follow:


*Click the image to enlarge*

Followed by cool down of 200m, Mixed strokes.

It is a good, fairly easy 1.6km swim which exposed us to stroke technique and exertion control. Also definitely a good indicator that we're improving in terms of endurance, can see from the last 6x50 that the timing are pretty consistent except Mr Married man because he hasn't been training.. but he's still so fast compared to us la...zzz.. JIAYOU!!!

Marianne and Sam lacks power... which is essential when you need to overtake someone.. be it racing purposes or just to overtake that irritating freestyle kick thrasher that keeps kicking water into your face with his huge suicidal kicks... definitely a need for open water swim races.

---------------------------------------------

For the group training to do continuous swim:

Warmup:
2x50, 30 sec rest in between each 50
2x100, 30 sec rest in between each 100

Main set:
6x50 30sec rest in between each 50
Focal points:
1) Loads of gliding
2) count stroke, if stroke count + >5 on any one lap then do step 3
3) Focus on lengthening strokes and breathing out LONGER and SLOWER in the last 15m of the pool and see if it helps.

4x100 1 minute rest between each 100
2x200 1 minute rest between each 200

2x50 mixed stroke cool down.

----------------------------------------

Basically for the continuous swimming group.. the main objectives are as follow:
1) Stroke technique (using chest to float horizontally while swimming, gliding and keeping streamlined body position)
2) Continuous swimming on water without standing up.
3) When tired, learn to turn on back and continue kicking gently and take breathes before continuing again.
4) When stroke counts increase/tiredness sets in (feels like going into anaerobic state), try to conscious force body to relax and make longer and more controlled exhalation with relaxed inhalation.

------------------------

Before ending, some announcements to make.


Robert, Pauline, Neil and Leon, please practice with these focal points on your own before monday. I repeat, PLEASE do so.


James, KH, PLEASE write up your detailed reflections on the issues you're facing in your continuous swim session and things you feel you can improve on and things that you feel you need my help on and send to me ASAP.

Wilson, James, KH. I understand the set was not completed due to whichever reason... We will attempt the same set once more next week. So be mentally prepared. :) Also, can James come for 7pm practice too? Let me know ASAP yeah.

Open water swim should be next sunday morning.
Meet in front of toilet area at Carpark F2 of ECP.
TBC by next wed
.

Looking forward to tomorrow's ride!

Lawrence!!! Train me in MTBing!!! i always wanna pick it up but nobody teach me properly.. :(

Alan!! Fantastic swim! We'll be seeing your packs soon yeah. hahahhaa...

Cheers
KK

3 comments:

  1. Dear Coach,

    First of all I am impressed with your post on the timing details in Excel format. You really take the trouble to do all these for us. I thank you.

    My wife recently noticed I am starting to grow a bigger breast. It is either I am having more female hormone than normal or from the Wed training session. I choose to believe it is from the training because you got a BIGGER breast than me!!

    Seriously, I never believe I can do under sub-minute per lap!! But I did and not just one but a few laps.

    Just like Wilson, I enjoy the "glide" more when I am swimming now, less effort and still move forward. I can do 40-44 strokes/lap consistently now if I concentrate but when getting tired, it can go up to 56.

    From the chart I notice the consistency of Sam's swim. She will be my model for now. I set myself a target of 1-2 months time. Alan is way off my target.

    For my cramp, this is ONLY because I PUSH the wall hard when starting, normally I don't have this problem. So I will be more gentle on the wall push next time.

    Till we meet again, on the beach next Sunday.

    P/S: I am in Shanghai for business during next week Wed training. Please excuse me.

    Cheers
    Lawrence Lim

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. must be the curse of the wall la! :Pp

    Anyway, christine must be finding you HOTTER THAN EVER! haha.. one more reason to keep coming for training yeah~ :Pp

    Anyway, its a pleasure to be able to do these and i'm more than happy to know its appreciated and is indeed usable for data comparison! At least i didn't waste any time yeah. haha..

    I can see huge improvements in you guys... Am proud of you all! Keep up the good/hard AND smart work!

    Cheers
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a personal experience kinda note..

    When i first picked up swimming freestyle with gliding.. it took me only a short while to realize that its normal to be Unable to glide once fatigue sets in..
    AND it is possible to improve on the duration/amount of swims we can maintain the gliding for.

    I took it in a form of progressive weight training format..

    Its like I squat 12 reps of 75kg now.. 4 weeks after i train.. i should be able to add some 1 to 5% to the weight and still do 12 reps.. and it takes time.. but it will improve over time as the muscle learns to hold a specific position/posture whilst applying force..

    Be patient! The timing will come! See lawrence and sam's improvements and they're very good examples. I shall post up some of my swim programs and timing to report too.. for general comparison and study purposes..

    Videos will be up next.. dunno use wat to host yet.

    Tiredx.

    ZZZ,
    KK

    ReplyDelete