Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A running post/Review of Newton. Catch it if you can.

Usual Run breakdown
Practice/factors before normal runs
- Run only
- Every 1.4km/900m will drink 3 mouth of water

RP of 1.4km during normal runs:
6:30 ~ 6:40
RP of 900m during normal runs:
5:00 +- 0:10


Today's Run breakdown
Factors to consider:
- 2.2KM swim before run
- No refueling throughout from swim to run end
- Only 300ml after swim and 100ml before the run start
- No drinking during run


First 22mins @ L2 (70~80% MHR)
1.4km (8:00) 78%
1.4km (8:00) 78%
900m (6:00) 73%
----------------
Return on Negative split (All above 80%, RP)
900m (4:47)
1.4km (6:27)
1.4km (6:21)

---------------------------------------

Run review:
Despite a 3kg weight gain, it was kind of a personal best run. I seriously expected this run to be very very shitty because I had nothing in the breakfast, slept late and ate KFC + 10 otahs in the afternoon and 1 kinder bueno 1 hr before the run (Indulging in my all-time fav. foods.. :P)...

Without the constant hydration + usual refueling after 1hr into my workout (ie after the swim), I would have expected the swim to be about 1 to 2.5mins+ slower than my usual run times... so....

I will attribute the run time improvement to partially Mr Isaac Newton.. :)

Before I start reviewing the shoes: Lets get some facts straight.

Over-Pronation = Weight on the inside of feet
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/general/pronate.htm

Over-Supination = Weight on the outside of feet
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/general/supinate.php

I am a neutral mid-fore foot runner depending on running speed. Some may counter that gait shouldn't be affected by the speed of run... I'd say I'm still trying to perfect it to a pure fore foot running gait as I find that faster and in some way more efficient as I find that there's "more bounce" and thus a lesser time foot spent on the ground which'll reduce loss of power.

----------------------------------------

Shoes reviewed:
Performance Neutral Trainer

http://www.newtonrunning.com/newton-products/the-shoes/mens-shoes/men-trainers/men-neutral-trainer-09

Claims by the shoes:
http://www.newtonrunning.com/science/action-reaction-technology

Actuator lugs actually makes your run faster by returning more power to help you move forward... To some laymen extent, its explained that way.
Go to the website to see how its technology works.

-----------------------------------------------

Difference between the Trainer and Racer is that the Racer feels very very lightly-Cushioned compared to the trainer. On hands, the weight are about few grams difference but when you wear it, it felt completely different.

The stability trainer would provide a platform to combat early stage (warming up and thus possible lower cadence/slower run/more pronation) and late stage (as fatigue sets in...) pronation... While the Neutral Trainer will would not have that priviledge of the stability..

In other words, in order for the neutral trainer to work perfect, you need to be very very biomechanically efficient in your running gait and form.. I bought the neutral trainer because I believe in changing for the better in small shorter distances and drills will help in the long run.. I don't like to subscribe to the idea of relying on an equipment to cover up my form imperfection.

By not using the stability platform, I can learn from the body's feedbacks, a.k.a minor aches and pain from the shorter runs and help me to change my form to a more biomechanically efficient one. However, I'd like to warn that the volume must be kept to very low and ALOT of body awareness to prevent injury...

For those who're mid-forefoot runners and don't like to work like a mad perfectionist like moi, its more advisible to get the stability version.

--------------------------------------------------

Review:

It was a rainy day, somehow, my shoes ALL are broken in on a rainy first run...

First thought of the shoes: It feels like I'm wearing bike shoes with cleats on due to the actuator lugs under the forefoot and lack of cushion at the heel.
Just like bike shoes on slippery surface, IT SUCKS ON WET SLIPPERY FLOOR whilst walking...

Tried hopping on my forefoot and I found the actuator to provide an extra bounce!

First 1km of the run:
Usually my landing are silent and I can sneak up to any runner with a katana without being found out. This time, because of the cushioning below the forefoot, there is a gentle firm "thud" sound everytime my forefoot strike the floor.

Because of the lack of cushion at the back, the warm up even though done at a slower-than-the-whole-run pace, have to be done without early stage pronation, i.e. a good mid-forefoot running form with little to no weight at the back.. Good reminder and discovery to my start of runs.

I also found that the shoe "force" me to run faster due to the extra bounce.. each time my forefoot strikes the floor, it felt like lurging forward almost immediately. Thus my overall cadence was improved...

The first 22minutes at L2 was good for my body to adapt to the new shoe's different cushion placing..

When doing the negative split:
I found increasing speed a breeze.. Almost felt like the faster I tried to run, the faster the shoes would push me forward! Action Reaction sio?

Tried to contain my excitement and pace myself properly until my final turn around.

At the final turn around, that is about 34minutes into the run, I found some blisters forming at my small toes.. All thanks to the silver reflectives on the shoes... It has seams inside...:(

After the run, there is some ache on both my feet's plantar fascia.. It probably came from sunday's hill repeats and ankle weight run.. Nothign big.. :) When walking back to home.. I go the wearing bike shoes kinda feelign again.. wings removed and I'm back to an average joe who can't even walk properly again with this shoes....

--------------------------------------------------------

Overall review:
Surprisingly, this technology really work to push you to go faster. Or that's what I can conclude so far with my one run.
However, this shoe will only work for those who are mid-forefoot runner. In fact, neutral racers/trainer only for FOREFOOT runners. Stability ones then more for mid-forefoot..

If you're a heel striker, you'll find that the shoe has almost NO support at the heel at all compared to your normal asics/new balance/reebok/saucony trainers/racers.. It is a completely different kind of shoes on the market that I know of.
The cushion at the front will cause MORE dorsi flexion too and thus plantar fasciitis will VERY likely to occur even on low effort long runs.

It is a fantastic pair of shoes that will help forefoot runners to run faster..

If you wish to change from heel striking to a forefoot gait, then you can try their guidance trainer... Even though I don't know how it works but I believe the actuator lugs/cushion under the forefoot is slightly thinner and thus it guides (gentle version of forcing.. :P) you to land on your forefoot..
http://www.newtonrunning.com/newton-products/the-shoes/mens-shoes/men-guidance-trainer

------------------------------------------------------------

The above review are done solely from what I've experienced and my bare minimal knowledge.. Feel free to discuss if you felt anything is wrong..
Kindly check the website for a mroe dettailed explanation of the technology.

Cheers
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment