Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sam's Review on previous training.... + MY reviews!

I felt crappy at the start due to post-running aches.. however, I’m glad I
braved through it.. I was surprised at how I could push myself for 5 x 100m set.
I’m pretty sure my focus on ‘reaching’ n ‘feeling’ every single stroke worked. I
felt my stroke lengthened and increase in ‘power’ from each of them. My timings
were 2:03, 2:07, 2:02, 1:57, 1:58. Quite impressed at the ‘built’ pattern
myself..

Overall, felt some improvement in terms of body control.
Even though side kicking still tire my legs out easily, I felt I was more
stable. Kicking wise, I did consciously try to avoid kicking from the knee but
like u say, it still wasn’t straight enough and not enough power was generated
from them. I know my legs are bad and so this is one area I really need to work
on.

Also, bad news was during the training, I felt an awkward
discomfort in my left shoulders and back. And true enough, it became worst after
I pushed myself during the 5 x 100m, couldn’t lift my head to breathe for
any stroke I tried to swim during the warm down. :S.. Lesson learnt everyone,
don’t be like me! Technique is very important or else u would end up with
injuries(I used to pull by shrugging my shoulders and not rotating my hips
enough) like me.

Samsam

Well, Let me go through 1 by 1.

James...

WELCOME TO SAPPHIRE SWIMMERS!!! =)
When I first saw your swim, I knew you practiced and learnt Total Immersion somewhere.. because I was there at your same stage couple of years back... Don't worry too much about your swim... My advice goes as per follow:

1) Ditch those nose clips, use your own air instead, practice breathing out from the nose.

2) Ditch those ear plugs, triathlon is gay enough to be in a enclosed and rather controlled environment to compete in, lets not make it worse.. (If you think its tough, go google XTERRA races) :), Anyway, the main point is, after swimming for long enough, and your breathing becomes smoother, there will not be build up of pressures in your head and body as a whole..Also, the movement will get smoother and water will more or less stop sipping in.

3) Work on your breathing, Continuous gaseous exchange is a MUST. DON'T EVER HOLD BREATHE! *check gen's write up below.*

Lawrence...

I think you're really doing very well so far.. The only thing I'd love to see you change is your pull... Well, I shan't repeat the 500words of write up that includes the following three words..
"Don't"
"Cross"
"Center"
....Well, You get the flow..... :D

Marianne...

I hope your question was answered just now in the swim session.. I thought you were gliding really well when I was giving you cue side by side as you swam. What do you think? I bet you felt very awkward.. but like i said, we're not fishes.. Swimming are not suppose to NOT feel awkward unless you practice it til it's ingrained in your nervous system just like how you pick up the cup and place the lid on your mouth and just pour the water into your mouth and swallow... :) I thought the breathing is better, but still its a little on the high side....

SamSam...

GREAT work on your swim.. I thought you swim Extraordinarily nice in the swim training session... peer pressure to look good as a coach DOES work eh? hee hee HEE... *My master plan is working...... :P*
Anyway, breathing is Completely too high tonight for 75% of the swim... Need to keep the ears on your shoulder la...

Gen,

Lack of rotation and holding of breathe (yes, when I was talking to wilson and james, I saw you doing that on your warm up and your 300m swim... Don't ask me how, maybe I got 10 pair of eyes...) when you swim your first 8 to 12 strokes is good for streamlining IF you're doing 50m sprints.. but if that's what you're training for then you probably shouldn't be in this swim squad liao right.... CHANGE LA!

Go ask your sister how to use your back muscles to pull by rotation.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST... BREATHING IS WAY OFF... FREAKING FREAKING HIGH CANNNN *SCREEEEEEAAAAAAMMMMMMMZZZ*


*Phew..*

Wilson...

Ahh.. I can't say enough how pleased I am of your progress.. Keep working on that side kicking drill to strengthen your core and swimming stabilizer muscles.. Work on your pull (remember the puppet thingy I showed you... ).. and you'll definitely be flying in no time. Also, next time, try 2 beat power kicks from your hips, don't do high frequency mini kicks like now.. :)

------------------------------------

Some pointers for all of you.

1) DRILLS are repetition of Part(s) of a Correct stroke/skill. It teaches your body what is correct and teaches your body to hold that position (in this case of swimming...)... So for example when you do a side kicking with extended arm drill and rotation without hip sinking.. PLEASE.. always think about how you can apply it to your normal swim... and with that feeling you gain from the drill, APPLY IT TO YOUR SWIM!

With the feelings and knowledge of the position you gained from doing the drills (pressing the chest down.. reaching and extending the spine.. etc..).. if you don't apply it in your normal swim, it'll be like having butter and bread but you don't put the butter onto the bread to make it taste better... I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

---- My fav. qn and phrase.. "Who don't understand??.. quick say now.. then I'll explain again...don't worry..."---

2) If you see my stroke got something weird, PLEASE tell me also... Don't be afraid to correct the coach! Swimming strokes are still changing even as we are talking right now. Just bring it up and discuss.. I'm very VERY open to such things... Ego and pride is definitely not an issue to me. I'm an addict to improvements... and will DO ANY THING to get tips.. ask sam, she know how obsessed I was.. asking every single person for tips when I was picking up swimming.. From the pros to the noobs.. I don't care.. because everyone's perception is different.. I believe even from the kids who knows nothing, sometimes I will hear enlightening words that I can apply to training. An open mind and heart to learn is KEY to improvement!:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight's training not really worth mentioning but for record sake, we did about 900m of swim.
Followed by Porpoising (Its pronounced as "POR-PURSE".. http://forvo.com/word/porpoise/)
and then sighting.. and turning around a buoy.

Personal opinion... For core's sake.. we Need to do more butterfly........ --> Sam, Marianne and Lawrence will go "NOOOOOO..."

Cheers
Sado Maso KK.

No comments:

Post a Comment