Monday, July 18, 2011

An overwhelming appreciation for "Coaching".

The "Coaching" I'm referring to here isn't me coaching somebody else but it is about "Being Coached".

As I've mentioned before, at least I think I've mentioned before because I've mentioned so many things before and even the words "mentioned" and "before" need to come up so many times in this sentence because.. well, I've indeed mentioned them before...

... That being a passionate guy about the things I choose to do, I've ALWAYS given my 200% in everything that I've willingly partaken in. From basketball to studies (yes I was in director's list in my dip.) to running to swimming to personal training and gym works. However, I've almost never podium-ed in my entire short 10yrs of sporting life.. I honestly felt a little short changed for the effort I've input and the heart and soul I've given.

The reason is not that I did not work hard enough but nobody was really there to guide me in what I should do correctly and what I should not. I've never had a proper certified, qualified/accomplished(optional) and capable coach who is there to WATCH ME and correct my mistake and tell me what I need to do.

I've read everything I need to learn to improve on every subject myself. Believe it or not even my lifesaving 1,2 and 3, a paid course, was taught by a extremely disappointing instructor that I have to re-study everything myself to get ready for the next level. This is a personal post and thus I hope sam will not be bothered by this.. She often proudly told people that she taught me how to swim at the start but the fact is that she didn't. All my questions was answered with "LIKE THAT LA, WHY CANNOT? I DON'T KNOW LEH."..  Ok, she wasn't a coach yet then but that kind of described the answers I get every single time I tried to work with my peers about something I want to improve on, not just swimming but almost everything else.

I've got some seniors in basketball that I need to thank to have helped me by sharing with me what they know, but they are not coaches and i'm forever a point guard who is good at using his brains to set up and improvise plays for his team instead of learning the proper pick and rolls and other set plays that can establish me as a "stable" PG..

As a matter of fact, ALL THE SWIM STROKES were picked up by my consistent disturbance on other "swimmers" or anyone in the pool that is better than me and then further practiced and confirmed by the long hours of trial and errors of drills and swims. Even up till the start of this year, it was a frustrating and continuous process to believe and coach on something I only have 95% faith that it is the right way to do. Until 6 weeks back. Everything in my swimming world changed.

With that, I am so overwhelmed with appreciation in today's training with my very own China Coach who is so well coached himself that every word he said makes me feel tinier and tinier-er in terms of knowledge base.

So to recall...

The first time I got a proper coach was Mr Chan, a 50+ years old man who can do one arm pull ups with ease. He taught me a complete set of gym training that made me more than just a functional being. He introduced me to proper joint alignment and kick started the process of learning how a body really work. His teaching and sharing is so valuable that if I had not been coached by him, I've be nowhere near who I am right now because I won't know how to activate all the muscles I need to, let alone coach the people to do the right things (insert Russel Peter's "be a man!" joke here :P)!

Then came Nicole Gallagher, the many many times podium sprint coach who inspired me to do better in triathlons and taught me what result a routine and consistent training can bring. She is the one who gave me the realism on what periodization training and scheduling of workout is about. Without that, team sapphire won't have such improvements to today already.

Then now, it is Cheng Qiang. One of the tallest lifeguard in Seng Kang. To have a feel about how he has changed my swim (perspectives and physical ability).. let's take a look at my swim times.
First sessions of:
2 x 400m on 8mins - 7:22, 7:33 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 9/10)
20 x 50m on 1min - 0:49 to 0:54 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 9.5/10)
2000m - 39:00 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 9/10)
800m fist swim with board shorts - 22:30 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 8.5/10)

NOW:
4 X 400M on 8mins - 6:53, 6:42, 6:44, 6:45 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 7.5-8/10)
30 X 50m on 1min - 0:41 to 0:47 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 9.5/10)
2000m - 37:00 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 8/10)
800m fist swim with board shorts - 19:41 (Rate of Perceived Exertion - 8/10)

I have no idea how to express how excited I am in the training and I just felt SO motivated to do whatever he asks me to. I wanted a coach SO much. My desire to win and compete at the highest level is SO F*CKING GREAT. I can't better describe it.

When I felt the nerves and anxiety as he asked me to do my 400m warm up with a straight face.. I recalled how Team Sapphire members will reserve in the warm ups and pre sets to "prepare" for the main set... I recall Lawrence saying "Reserve a bit ma.. don't know what you'll throw at us later leh~!"... And I felt so so excited because I am finally being COACHED and I so want to reap the benefits and pure enjoyment of just being in the water giving my everything in the sets pre-determined by somebody else and that somebody is one I respect so much!

------------------------

Honestly, I've come a LONG WAY to where I am today without much proper coaching. And getting a proper coach in SG who knows what he's talking about is just SUCH A DIFFICULT MATTER. With that, I need to exclaim and remind myself and everyone else reading this subject thus far that Being Coached is a PRIVILEGE - and I appreciate it So F*cking Much.

Cheers
KK

3 comments:

  1. Congrats KK for your all your achievements! It's your passion, consistent, persistence and diligence in striving to achieve the best. Your hardwork and effort pay off. Keep up your good effort and results! Keep going KK! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those improvements are truly remarkable. I totally agree on your last statement. Being coached is a priveledge. I always look forward to Wed train session to be coached. I am a coach myself, but in the manufacturing business world. As a coach myself, my risk in failing is a total plant shutdown. The biggest project i have handled, if A total plant shutdown due to my negligence can costs EUR$1M a single day in Belgium for Volvo. To put that into perspective to what you do is not comparable, because u coach us like family, and what I have learned in terms of quality of life has improved. These are priceless. Thanks for being our coach and I need to look out for coach Cheng Qiang to thank him too because what we learned today has his influence right? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.. Calvin, I feel old talking to you some times.. You have so much energy now as compared to the last time when you first joined!!! Haha

    Wah $1M euro/day?! I'd have stressed the hell out every single day I work there man. Every man(as in human) on earth has something that he or she is good at.. 天生我才必有用.. I'm truly glad I have a team to share what I know and learn what I share and be shared to about so many other aspects of life.

    I am always very humbled by the fact that I have so many people whom I'm younger than and are in our team.. Willing to listen to what I have to say.. It is even more meaningful to me when I see people's life change because they r willing to try what I've learnt and shared.

    I always know and I will always appreciate this:

    "WITHOUT THE TEAM, THERE WILL BE NO COACH KK."

    Thank You.:)

    ReplyDelete