Saturday, February 27, 2010

Goodbye Aviva 2010.

There's only 2 words that I can use to describe the feeling of having trained for almost half a year to go for my Half Ironman Debut this year just to have that dream smashed by a strain of flu virus. "-=Very Painful=-"

Having friends around me supporting me, especially Sam who has been taking care of me like I'm a handicapped person since day 1 is really a blessing that I've never even prayed for.

However, I really disliked the idea of them looking at me and say "you over trained la.."... and before I could explain any further.. they will say "Nooo... you listen first.. you must have pushed too hard during training.. yada yada yada.."...

After reading this post, I hope those who saw me this wednesday, will not start telling me I probably overtrained because I've analysed EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DETAIL in my training log (if you think this log here is detailed, you can check my own.) and I see no sign of overtraining taking place anywhere. It was almost too ideal that improvement was always coming with no injuries or sickness.

Anyway..

Firstly, lets dissect why people think this way.

1.9km swim
+
90km Bike
+
21km run
= A HUGE AMOUNT OF STUFFS TO TRAIN FOR. <--- That has to be true to MOST people whom the longest distance they ever ran is probably 42km and if they do ever get into some serious kind of training, usually it is not structured or coached, Not in singapore. What if its not structured OR coached? it probably isn't progressive. Definition of progressive overloading anyone?

So when one person drops out at any one point during training, the answer will be - Overtraining.

Now, secondly why do I dislike that comment?
i) I take pride in my training program, and my brother and sam hasn't been falling sick whilst being coached and monitored by moi.
ii) They did not train with me, and had no idea how i was doing (x number of weeks) before I fall off the ladder to my dream.
iii) They don't understand what is overtraining.

Signs of overtraining:

•Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
•Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
•Pain in muscles and joints
•Sudden drop in performance
•Insomnia
•Headaches
•Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
•Decrease in training capacity / intensity
•Moodiness and irritability
•Depression
•Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
•Decreased appetite
•Increased incidence of injuries.


I did not experience ANY of the above.
I checked with a doctor from SGH about my persistent cough and he says i probably have very easily irritated throat and due to coaching. Also with the running nose and i was diagnosed with sinusitis, which is not a problem is it?

Lets go back to my last whole month of training. I was enthusiastic about my training ALL the time even if it means 10x800 intervals at 2pm. I made sure i have water to cool myself and i made sure i made water stations for myself to drink and hydrate and eat properly. I did not have any injury (let alone increased incidence of injuries). I was eating like a cow all the time so where's the lost of appetite?

I got no washed out feeling or even a sense of heavy legs. My HR is always very easily controllable during training.
And last tuesday, I did a long run in the afternoon and I felt strong after that.. still I rested for 7 hrs before I swam for an hour. Both training I did superb and my swim timing was PB despite the afternoon run!

And after the swim, I kept myself warm and went up to bathe immediately.

But after that, I felt feeling of unwell creeping in.........

Now if you look at my training program, I can show you if need be, but i can't post it here. It is progressive, I started with 50minutes run, 1.4km swims, 1hr ride all once a week and the overloading has been very very finely controlled. Plus I don't just take instruction like a dummy and I always review the training and make sure I don't overdo things. If with the heart rate monitor still overdo then might as well throw that away and train without rite?

Also, Half Ironman i about pacing, NOT pushing yourself soooo hard like sprint distance! Almost all my training are done ard 75% hr!

This IS NO CASE OF OVER TRAINING.

As with all training, immune system will drop. Any exercise above 60minutes will cause a drop in immune system for a range of 2hrs to 3 full days. The virus just caught me at this time.

In other words, I'M *SUAY*.

------------------------------------

Seriously, This is FUCKING PAINFUL TO SWALLOW.

I trained my ass off, I was never so disciplined in ANY other things in my entire life except when picking up my swim stroke, my basketball game and sam.
Can you imagine the amount of pain I put myself through the lonesome ride after ride after ride, run after run after run and swim after swim after swim?
I put sooo much time to it and I just have to be kicked on my arse by this stupid strain of flu virus.

I am not complaining about the training I've went through.. it is what made a ironman fun and I'm glad I enjoyed it til the last 2 weeks without any injuries or sickness.. its been a blessing..

*act like genevieve* BUT STILL?!?!?! its still so hurtful to see my dream melt away and having to wait another yr......

Aviva, I'll be back WITH A VENGEANCE.

KK

PS- This post isn't meant for criticizing anyone, it is just a let off of my own thoughts. Its been a very rough 4 days for me given the amount of time and finance I've pumped into it relatively compared with my family condition....

PS PS-

Thank you all for the support and well wishes... I hope I can recover soon too and be on the same race day as you guys on SG Biathlon..

Thank you lawrence for reminding me that ironman don't quit.
But we have to know that the fitter one gets, the lesser time off he needs to lose nearly EVERYTHING.
But I really wish this can be like some tv drama.. where they just flash some screens of the guy training harder in many different ways then in the next scene or episode voila! he's ready for competition again..
HIM is 3 weeks away, I can't even walk without giddiness & headache & pain around solar plexus now. I tried swimming today and I was breatheless after 1 lap of slow swim. Doctor probably kill me and I got a bad feeling that whn I see him on Monday, he's gonna give the "no go" for my HIM due to the intensity and serious flu virus needs at least 6 weeks to fully recover.

Thank you wilson, for always trying to cheer me up. :)